Welcome to Aughrim, one of the most beautiful villages in County Wicklow. Aughrim or ‘Eachdhruim’ means the steed’s back, a name derived from the surrounding hills. The name has been in existence since the 1500s and is sometimes referred to as ‘Aughrim of the O’Byrnes’ from the Gaelic clan who once ruled this area.

The village is famous for its granite found in many of its buildings, bridges and walls and is known locally as the ‘Granite Village’. Aughrim was established as an estate town by the Earl of Meath who built many of the historical buildings such as the Market House, Forge and Ardee Row.

In recent times Aughrim has become an important agricultural, horticultural and timber processing centre and a popular venue for walkers. Tourism is now an important aspect of the village, due to a major community involvement in creating and preserving this beautiful environment. Aughrim was awarded the nation title of (Ireland’s Tidiest Town’ in 2007.

Points of Interest in Aughrim

This beautiful garden contains an unusual ‘stumpery’. Fantastic views of the weir are seen here.

This park consists of a 4 acre artificial lake within an 8 acre riverside park. The facility is completely wheelchair accessible and is also open to the general public. The lake is stocked with game fish and is surrounded by an attractive wildlife area.

This wonderful amenity is situated in the grounds of the fishing park. At present the honoured game is open for new members.

This Victorian style building is a multipurpose facility serving the local community. Many events, thrift shop, meetings and markets are held here on a weekly basis.

Rednagh Bridge was the site of an engagement between Crown forces and the rebels during the 1798 rebellion. General Joseph Holt, United Irishman, was victorious on the 19th September 1798. A beautiful picnic area has been developed here.

St. John’s Church in Aughrim dates from 1913 and was built with granite stone from the local Tinakilly quarry. The site for the church was donated by the Earl and Countess of Meath.

These are a number of unusual granite terraced houses built in 1893 at the behest of the Earl of Meath.

This 21.5 feet high column was erected in 1998 in a place of honour in the town. This monument commemorates all those who lost their lives in the area during the 1798 rising.

The Church of the Sacred Heart was built by local stonemasons using the local granite from Tinakilly in 1890.

The Old School was built using local granite in 1894. The school was based here until a new school was built in the mid-1980s. The Irish Country Women’s Association and Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Eireann occupy the building at present.

The alk starts about 900m from this point at the end of the village past the heritage stop ‘Old School’ at the Tinakilly Bridge. There is a car park and a picnic area. The walk is an easy 4 km loop walk and takes about 60 minutes. The trail runs through woodland along the Ballycreen Brook.

Flour milling in Aughrim was a tradition going back to the 17th century. The Weir and Mill race that runs through the town was constructed to power this old age industry. The milling of flour ceased in Aughrim in 1963.

The Irish National Foresters Society was originally formed as a benevolent society for local residents of the county. The hall was built in 1912. There is an interesting inscription on the front wall.

This building served as the market house from the 1850s. It was built by Lord Meath whose family crest can be seen centrally positioned on the building.

A building much admired in Aughrim is the Forge with its seven nail horseshoe entrance door built in 1873. The granite archway is one of the many examples of the work of local stonecutters found in lintel and door surrounds in the town.

The railway line was part of the Great Southern Line. The station house was built in Aughrim in 1865 and seven trains were running a day. The first train came to Aughrim in 1866 and the station was closed in 1944.

Lawless’s Hotel was established in 1787. In bygone days the space in front of the hotel served as a coach halt. The hotel is one of the oldest buildings in the town.

The Aughrim River is formed after the meeting of the Ow and the Derry Water Rivers. The river is an important habitat for birds such as dippers and herons and is rich in fish such as brown trout. The river is approximately 8km long and it flows south-eastwards to meet the Avoca River at Woodenbridge.

Home to the stunning 4 star BrookLodge Hotel & Wells Spa where the mind, body and soul can rejuvenate in pure luxury. Facilities include The Strawberry Tree, Irelandʼs only certified organic restaurant, and Italian restaurant La Taverna Armento; Actons Country Pub & Brewery and the Orchard Café where organic beer and light lunches are served in a traditional setting. The Store Rooms offer a great selection of fine organic foods and wines to take home; and exclusive quirky and chic fashion is available in the TAO Boutique. Outdoor facilities include Macreddin Stables & Equestrian Centre and the 18 hole par 72 Macreddin Golf Club. Visit for more info.